• Wii sales will start to level off, but it will still sell more than Xbox 360 and PS3. A small price cut and some good bundle deals offered in Q4.
• The DSi will fly off the shelves, despite it being a slightly upgraded version of the DS Lite.
• Nintendo continue its crackdown on illegal software downloads for DS. Expect R4 chips to be hard to get hold off and many DS Rom sites to close.
• As sales of Wii drop, Nintendo finally announce strategy to target hardcore gamers
• Third party support will increase for Wii and more games that appeal to the hardcore crowd will be announced.
• DSi-only titles announced, probably at E3, but initial batch will receive negative press.
• Mario platformer announced, possibly Super Mario Galaxy 2.
• New Zelda trailer teases fans, more information and release date expected Q4 2010.
• Wii Sports Resort will sell millions, but will be rubbish.
• GTA Chinatown will be a huge success, receiving rave reviews and selling millions. Wins game of the year awards.
• More Pokémon.
• Nintendogs for Wii announced at E3 and will incorporate Wii Speak device.
• Tons of casual games announced to take advantage of Wii motion-plus.
• Alan Wake gets delayed again.
• Ubisoft announced new Rainbow 6 and a music game similar to Guitar Hero and Rock Band.
• Sales of Ubisoft’s Imagine range will be very poor and the range will eventually be scrapped.
• More development studios close.
• Two big names merge.
• Steam further tightens its grip on the PC gaming world
• Free-to-play MMOs are wildly successfully, the best year for them yet.
• Midway Games have a very bad year, Wheelman and This Is Vegas bombs. Company sold.
• In a struggling economic climate, cheap games will be the big sellers.
• A man goes on a killing spree in Manchester’s China town, GTA Chinatown Wars blamed by the media. Violence in videogames debate starts all over again. Politicians get involved.
• Some big news regarding Sega this year will change its future forever.
• 2K win the mob battle. Mafia II will be far superior than Godfather II.
• Half Life 2: Episode 3 dated.
• Atari will have a good year, thanks mainly to Ghostbusters. • EA will announce at least 3 new IPs targeted at hardcore gamers.
We'll check back at the end of 2009 to see which of our predictions, if any, came true. Let us know your thoughts on 2009 in the HEXUS.community forums.