- Another landmark for UK's fastest growing pay TV service
- Almost one million viewer ratings made each day with TiVo thumbs
- App use on Virgin Media TiVo grows by two thirds in 2013
Virgin Media has connected its two millionth TiVo customer in the UK. The landmark was reached when the Lynch family ofManchester had the next generation digital entertainment service installed at their home with a surprise visit from their favourite television star Jennifer Metcalfe1.
Virgin Media TiVo is the UK's fastest growing pay TV service, offering unrivalled features such as the ability to record three shows at the same time while watching something else already recorded and an intelligent search and recommendation feature as well as being able to pause and rewind live television. Virgin Media TiVo brings together hundreds of TV channels with thousands of hours of on demand entertainment ready to start at the press of a button, and the best of the web, seamlessly incorporating YouTube and Netflix.
Through a dedicated broadband connection built into each Virgin Media TiVo set-top box, viewers can experience all of this without impacting their home broadband connection, unlike every other connected TV service.
Scott Kewley, Virgin Media's director of digital entertainment, said: "Reaching two million TiVo customers is a huge milestone for us and we're delighted so many people are enjoying what we believe is the best way to watch television. Virgin Media TiVo started a revolution in the way people watch and discover great TV and it's clear from our growth that our customers agree. By offering different ways to watch, with subscription and pay-per-view options, all integrated into a straightforward, intuitive experience, there's an unrivalled world of great entertainment at our customers' fingertips."
Virgin Media TiVo in numbers
- 2 million - customers since the service launched in December 2010
- 30 million - the number of times customers rated programmes using TiVo's ‘thumbs up' or ‘thumbs down' in January 2014
- 174 million - app launches on TiVo in 2013, up from 104 million in 2012
- 519 million - TV programmes watched on demand using TiVo in 2013
Tuning in to TiVo
App usage on Virgin Media TiVo increased significantly in 2013, boosted by the addition of Netflix in November. The movie service has become the second most popular app behind BBC iPlayer with YouTube third.
The latest addition to the service is Virgin Media's Top Tips for 2014 app which features exclusive performances and interviews from 13 breakthrough music artists including Brit Awards Critics' Choice nominees Ella Eyre and Chloe. TiVo users can vote who they think will be the next big act of 2014 with the winner being revealed through the app and on virginmedia.com on 17thFebruary.
TiVo's place in popular culture
The service has been name-checked in an increasingly large number of TV shows and films as the future of TV, including:
1. Sex and the City - Miranda falls for TiVo
2. Simpsons - Homer returns home with a TiVo set-top box
3. Futurama - One of the title captions says "Hey TiVo! Suggest this!"
4. How I Met Your Mother - "Almighty TiVo, we thank you for all the gifts you have given us: The power to freeze live TV to go take a leak is nothing short of god-like, and let's not forget fast-forwarding through commercials. "
5. Harold and Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay - "I'm telling you Jorge, the first thing you have to do when you get to America - buy a device called TiVo. Okay? Freedom means nothing if you're a slave to regular programming. I promise you that."
Ten things TiVo can do:
1. Pause and rewind live TV
2. Record three shows while watching a fourth already recorded
3. Set up recordings even when not at home using Virgin TV Anywhere
4. Watch live channels anywhere with WiFi in the UK using Virgin TV Anywhere
5. Store up to 500 hours of TV or around 100 hours of HD TV on a 1TB box
6. Undelete recently deleted programmes
7. Watch catch-up TV from BBC iPlayer, ITV, 4OD and Channel 5
8. Create WishLists to automatically record any show that meets your criteria
9. Give shows a ‘thumbs up' or ‘thumbs down' so TiVo can learn what you like
10. Enjoy web apps on your big screen including Sportify, YouTube and Netflix
1 Manchester residents Leigh and Chris Lynch and their two children, Sophie and Arielle, were visited by the Dancing on Ice and Hollyoaks star as well as skaters from Silver Blades Ice Rinks, Altrincham. More details and pictures available on request.
About Virgin Media
Virgin Media is the first provider of all four broadband, TV, mobile phone and home phone services in the UK.
The company's cable network - the result of multi-billion pound private investment - delivers ultrafast broadband to over half of all UK homes, with speeds of up to 120Mb, as well as market leading connectivity to thousands of public and private sector organisations across the country.
Virgin Media has developed the most advanced interactive television service, bringing together broadcast TV, thousands of hours of on demand programming and the best of the web in a single set-top box powered by TiVo. The company was the first to offer HD TV and 3D on demand to millions of British households.
The world's first virtual mobile network was launched by Virgin Media and it is also one of the largest fixed-line home phone providers in the country.
Virgin Media is a part of Liberty Global plc, the world's largest international cable company. Together Virgin Media and Liberty Global serve 24 million customers across 14 countries, helping connect people to the digital world and enabling them to discover and experience its endless possibilities.