We recently covered the news of ASUS marketing a new gaming motherboard with the requisite Intel C232 chipset so users could choose to equip one of Intel's cost effective Xeon E3-1200 v5 processors. Gigabyte launched a pair of PLUS-WS consumer motherboards featuring the same chipset, but less overt gaming features, shortly after. Now ASRock has joined in the consumer-space C232 chipset trend by offering a choice of either; the gaming orientated ASRock Fatal1ty E3V5 Performance Gaming/OC, or a more sober workstation motherboard called the ASRock E3V5 WS.
It seems like these motherboards are becoming popular with the makers as they reason that when equipped with an Intel E3-1230 v5 Xeon processor end users get much more bank-per-buck. With the latest generation of Xeon CPUs, Intel requires a dedicated chipset, the C232, but this chipset also allows users to equip other Skylake processors. Integrated graphics can't be used with these boards, however.
The ASRock Fatal1ty E3V5 Performance Gaming/OC is said to easily be the basis of "a wonderful gaming rig". It includes ASRock gaming frills such as Gaming Armor, Super Alloy features, ASRock Hyper BCLK Engine, Key Master, Fatal1ty mouse port, F-Stream, and DDR4 Non-Z OC.
The ASRock E3V5 WS is a workstation type motherboard offering good configurability for content creators with support for DDR4 and EEC DIMMs, AMD FirePro and Nvidia Quadro graphics, and 'server grade' LAN thanks to the Intel I219LM chip onboard. Full specifications for the ASRock E3V5 WS can be found here. Highlighted key specifications for this workstation motherboard are reproduced below:
- Supports the Intel Xeon E3-1200 v5 Processor & 6th Generation Intel Core Processors (Socket 1151)
- Supports DDR4 2133 & ECC UDIMM memory modules
- Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit / 8.1 64-bit / 7 32-bit / 7 64-bit / Server 2012 R2 64-bit / Server 2012 64-bit / Server 2008 R2 64-bit support
- ASRock Super Alloy
- 2x PCIe 3.0 x16, 3x PCIe 3.0 x1
- Supports AMD Quad CrossFireX
- Server-Grade LAN chip support
- 7.1 CH HD Audio (Realtek ALC892 Audio Codec), ELNA Audio Caps
- 6x SATA 3
- 6x USB 3.0 (2 Front, 4 Rear)
- Supports Full Spike Protection, ASRock Live Update & APP Shop