Dell has updated its Alienware 13 (13.3-inch) gaming laptop. It becomes the most powerful gaming laptop of this size ever from the PC maker, thanks to the combination of an Intel quad-core H-class CPU and Nvidia 1000 series GPU. Other modern PC architecture niceties such as DDR4 memory and SSD-only storage support the headline component specs.
Dell provides a wide range of Alienware 13 configurations which it is also possible to further customise before purchase. All of the machines are claimed to be VR-Ready due to the excellent entry level spec which includes; an Intel Core i5-6300HQ processor, an Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 with 6GB GDDR5, 8GB of DDR4 RAM, and a 180GB M.2 SATA 6Gb/s SSD. This entry model features a 13.3 inch HD (1366 x 768) TN Anti-Glare 200-nits display. The starting price for a machine thus configured is US$1199.
Moving up to more expensive pre-built models you can go for an IPS 1080p display, or even an OLED 1440p display. Processors can be upgraded as far as an Intel Core i7-6700HQ, pre-built-RAM configurations offer up to 16GB DDR4 but can be further configured to 32GB. Storage in pre-built configs tops out at 512GB PCIe SSD but can be upgraded up to 2x 1TB PCIe SSDs. The pre-built configurations plateau at US$2099.
Other major Alienware 13 features are its standard Windows 10 OS, 76Wh lithium Ion battery, Alienware Sound Centre and Audio Recon software with 2.0 Speaker configuration, Alienware HD+IR presence detection camera (with Windows Hello and Tobii eye tracking support), Killer 1435 802.11ac 2x2 WiFi and Bluetooth 4.1, a new Alienware TactX keyboard with 2.2mm of key travel and N key rollover, an upgraded thermal design (with the 'thermal shelf' behind its screen), and AlienFX lighting. The Alienware 13 measures 390 x 259 x 23.3mm and weighs 2Kg.
The full list of ports is as follows:
- SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Type-C Port
- SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Type-A Port
- RJ-45 Killer Networks e2400 Gigabit Ethernet Port
- Mini-Display Port 1.2 (certified) Output
- HDMI 2.0 Output
- Thunderbolt 3 Port (USB Type-C with support for SuperSpeed USB 10Gbps, 40Gbps Thunderbolt, and DisplayPort)
- Alienware Graphics Amplifier Port
- Power/DC-in Jack
- Noble Lock port (cable and lock sold separately)
- SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Type-A Port with PowerShare technology
- Headphone 1/8" Port (re-taskable for Microphone/Line-In analogue audio input)
- Audio Out 1/8" Ports (Compatible with inline mic headset)
Though you have the on-board GTX 1060 6GB graphics the Alienware 13 is still compatible with the Alienware Graphics Amplifier. Such an expansion would facilitate upgrading to your choice of full length, dual-width graphics card and provides an additional 4-port USB 3.0 hub.