Hewlett Packard has today announced a new family of laptops aimed at the business market. The HP EliteBook Folio 1020 family are said to be "the industry's thinnest and lightest business-class notebooks". The two SKUs, the HP EliteBook 1020 and the HP EliteBook 1020 Special Edition (SE) are ultra-thin at just 15.7mm thick and weigh in at only 1kg (2.2 lbs). HP puts that down to its choice of premium strong yet light materials including its own "exclusive blend of magnesium-lithium alloy and reusable carbon fibre".
Alex Cho, vice president & general manager, HP Commercial PCs said "The HP EliteBook1020 represents game-changing innovation in both materials and mechanical engineering to create the world's thinnest and lightest business notebooks in a form factor that enables our customers to be more productive in more places". He added that the new Elitebooks offered advanced security and are built to withstand the rigours of being highly mobile.
Please find below some HP EliteBook Folio 1020 family specifications distilled from the marketing bombast:
- Processor: Intel Core M family, facilitating these fanless designs
- Display: 12.5-inch diagonal Quad HD (QHD) or Full HD display, optional touchscreen
- Memory: 8GB of RAM and SSD options of 128GB or 256GB
- Battery: up to 9 hours of battery life
- Construction: magnesium-lithium alloy and reusable carbon fibre
- Input: HP Premium Keyboard
- Multimedia: 720p webcam, HD Audio with DTS Studio Sound
- Durability: passed military-grade (MIL-STD 810G) testing - drops, shocks, and exposure to extremes of temperature and humidity, and high pressure testing
- Security: Trusted Platform Module (TPM) 1.2/2.0, fingerprint reader, HP Sure Start self-healing BIOS
We are yet to get any pricing details but this svelte new laptop range will first become available in February, and the Special Edition launching in April. I would guess that these Elitebook 1020 models will complement, rather than replace, the Elitebook Folio 1040 Ultrabook models which pack Intel Core i5 and i7 processors and retail from US$1,299.