Toshiba has launched a new laptop-tablet hybrid aimed at the professional market. The Portégé Z20t features a matt 12.5-inch full HD screen which is accompanied by a detachable and reversible keyboard power dock. It is thin and light and eminently portable with a 16 hour combined battery life to keep you working on the road. Toshiba utilises one of Intel's new Core M processors in its fanless Z20t design.
Toshiba Europe's Eric Cariou, Vice President, B2B PC, Lifestyle Products & Services Group said "Built for professional users, the Portégé Z20t offers a slim-line and lightweight device whether it’s used in laptop or tablet mode in any scenario while still satisfying the security and IT management features that are crucial to any organisation in today’s complex business environment." He went further to describe the new Portégé as a "remarkable technological achievement".
Looking at the modes on offer, the reversible dock adds a trick to the hybrid's flexibility. The screen portion of the Z20t can be inserted to present to a larger group of people, or the opposite way around for traditional laptop-like duties. The detachable screen also works in a standalone fashion as a tablet. To get the full 16 hours of battery life Toshiba measured the device usage when docked with the keyboard - as these modes offer twice the battery life thanks to a built-in extra battery.
Toshiba Portégé Z20t specifications:
- Display: 31.75 cm (12.5”) Full HD (1920 x 1080), 350 NIT, IPS display with 10-finger capacitive touch support or digitizer touch screen
- Processors: Intel Core M Series
- Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 5300
- Storage: Up to 256 GB SSD
- Memory: Up to 8 GB LPDDR3 1600MHz onboard
- Connectivity: Tablet – 1 x micro-HDMI, 1 x micro USB, 1 x microSD, combined audio jack, Laptop – full size RGB, HDMI, 2x USB 3.0, Kensington lock port
- Communication: Wi-Fi 2x2 ac + ac/a/b/g/n, Bluetooth 4.0, optional 3G/4G combo module, GBit LAN (on keyboard)
- Full HD front facing webcam with 5 MP rear facing camera
- Optional Wacom digitzer
- Security: Toshiba EasyGuard, Trusted Platform Module, Intel Active Management Technology
- OS: Windows 8.1 Pro
- Battery life: Laptop – up to 16 hours, Tablet only – up to 8 hours
- Colour: Premium matt black finish
- Dimensions: Laptop – 309 x 215 x 21 mm, Tablet only – 309 x 199 x 8.8 mm
- Weight: Laptop – from 1.59kg, Tablet only – from 799g
Buyers will be able to specify various amounts of memory and storage to suit their needs and also choose whether to opt for a Wacom digitiser or not. The keyboard is backlit and spill resistant and contains an integrated Accupoint device should you prefer it to the touchpad or touch screen.
Business and professional users, at which the device is targeted, may appreciate the security features that Toshiba has integrated into the Z20t including; Trusted Platform Module (TPM) safeguards the data on local storage and Intel Active Management Technology (AMT). These Portégé devices have also been tested and certified for the possibilities of rough journeys and drop tested to 76cm.
Toshiba told us that the Portégé Z20t will be available from Q1 next year in the UK, we weren't informed about pricing.