Sony Ericsson has finally revealed the spec of its eagerly anticipated Play handset, known as the PlayStation phone, which will launch from March.
Fans have already seen pictures of the ‘truly revolutionary' handset but the firm revealed more of its features at its official outing at MWC.
The Android smartphone enters gaming mode when users lide out its hidden game pad with digital D-pad, 2 analogue touch pads, shoulder buttons and 4 PlayStation icons. Sony Ericsson said that Qualcomm's optimised Snapdragon processor with a 1Ghz CPU and embedded Adreno GPU graphics processor "deliver silky smooth 60fps play-back 3D mobile gaming and web browsing with minimal power consumption."
The Xperia Play, available in black and white, will run Android 2.3 Gingerbread and is the first PlayStation certified phone, giving users access to game content through the PlayStation Suite, which is currently under development and is due to launch later this year.
Rikko Sakaguchi, Exec VP and chief creation officer at Sony Ericsson said: "Today is a very proud moment for Sony Ericsson as we bring something truly revolutionary to the market. Living up to our vision of Communication Entertainment, Xperia PLAY will forever change the way people think about smartphones and mobile gaming."
Sony Ericsson has partnered with games publishers to make popular titles avialble from Android Marketplace too. Users will be able to play the following titles on their handset: Need for Speed, Sims 3, FIFA 10, Guitar Hero plus Assassin's Creed and Splinter Cell.
Here is the Xperia Play's spec:
Camera: 5.1MP, auto focus, flash, geo tagging, image stabiliser, send to web, touch focus, video recording, video blogging
Music: Album art, Bluetooth stereo, Google Music Player, Music tones, PlayNow service, stereo speakers, TrackID music recognition app
Messaging: Android Cloud to Device messaging (C2DM), Conversations, Email, Google Mail, IM, MMS, Sound recorder, SMS
Design: Auto rotate, Keyboard (onscreen 12 key and QWERTY), Picture Wall paper, Touchscreen, Wallpaper Animation
Organiser: Alarm, calculator, calendar, document editors and readers, E-Manual, Flight Mode, Google Calendar, Google Gallery 3D, Infinite button, Phone Book, Widget Manager.
- 3D games
- Dedicated gaming keys
- Flash LiteTM
- Gesture gaming
- Motion gaming
- Video streaming
- 3.5 mm audio jack
- BluetoothTM technology
- DLNA Certified
- Google LatitudeTM
- Google Location Service
- Google MapsTM with Street View
- Media Transfer Protocol support
- Micro USB Connector
- Synchronisation via FacebookTM**
- Synchronisation via Google SyncTM
- Synchronisation via Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync®
- Synchronisation via Sony Ericsson Sync
- USB 2.0 high speed support
- Wi-FiTM Hotspot functionality
- 16,777,216 colour TFT
- Capacitive multi-touch
- 4 inches
- 480 x 854 pixels (FWVGA)
- Size: 119 x 62 x 16 mm
- Weight: 175 grams
- Phone memory: 400 MB
- Memory card support: microSDTM, up to 32 GB
- Memory card included: 8GB microSDTM
- Operating system: GoogleTM Android 2.3 (Gingerbread)
- Processor: 1 GHz Scorpion ARMv7
Talk time and networks
- Talk time GSM/GPRS: Up to 8 hrs 25 min*
- Standby time GSM/GPRS: Up to 425 hrs*
- Talk time UMTS: Up to 6 hrs 25 min*
- Standby time UMTS: Up to 413 hrs*
- Talk time CDMA2000®: Up to 7 hrs 40 min*
- Standby time CDMA2000®: Up to 405 hrs*
- Game play time: Up to 5 hrs 35 min*
- MP3 playback: Up to 30 hrs 35 min*
- UMTS HSPA 800, 850, 1900, 2100
- GSM GPRS/EDGE 850, 900, 1800, 1900
- UMTS HSPA 900, 2100
- GSM GPRS/EDGE 850, 900, 1800, 1900
- CDMA2000®, cdmaOne, EVDO
Accessories in box: Handset, battery, stereo portable hands free, 8GB microSD card, charger, Micro USB cable, user documentation.
Here is an image of the Xperia Play.