Kaspersky Lab's premium home product delivers best-in-class protection to secure and manage PCs and digital assets
Abingdon, UK, 29 March 2012 - Around 70,000 malicious programs currently appear every day, with most of them emanating from the Internet. Facing these threats, users need maximum protection to secure their homes and families against viruses, spyware, online banking Trojans and social network spam. Kaspersky PURE 2.0 meets these needs by delivering the ultimate protection for PCs, user identity, passwords, photos and financial data, and by keeping children safe and responsible online. Plus, it's incredibly simple to use, allowing users to easily manage the security of every computer in the home from a single PC.
With its password-security-related features, encryption capabilities, secure vaults and backup, as well as parental controls, Kaspersky PURE 2.0 covers all the important aspects of ultimate PC security. These are increasingly necessary today, as cybercriminals become more and more adept at exploiting the assets these technologies protect. Increasingly sophisticated social engineering techniques like phishing are becoming more and more successful in seeking out passwords, and hacks of unencrypted, unsecure data are becoming weekly occurrences in the news. The number of browser-based attacks almost doubled in 2011. That means that Kaspersky Lab products protected Internet users an average of 2,592,859 times every day. And with children today potentially so vulnerable if Internet access goes unchecked, it is no less than mandatory to be protected against all the security threats out there.
"When it comes to the security of home computers, it's clear that maximum protection is the one to go for. With the threat landscape continually evolving and getting scarier by the day, only the very best should do in terms of security", explains Lee Sharrocks, B2C Director, UK and Ireland, Kaspersky Lab. "Kaspersky PURE 2.0 delivers ultimate PC protection for your home, combining everything you need to ensure the security of your PCs, identities, passwords and photos, and to protect your children when they are online."
The Ultimate in Home Protection
Kaspersky PURE 2.0 provides award-winning protection against viruses, spyware, Trojans, spam, hackers, worms, keyloggers, rootkits, bots, scripts and phishing. It automatically updates itself with greater efficiency, neither getting in your way nor taking up computer resources. An improved interface allows users to simultaneously see the computer's security status, with problem areas highlighted in red, and get instant access to the necessary modules.
New and Improved Features of Kaspersky PURE 2.0
- The Combined Power of the Cloud and Your PC. In addition to the traditional signature-based methods of threat detection, the latest cloud technologies and proactive protection methods - which are already being used in Kaspersky Internet Security 2012 - are applied to deliver faster, more effective responses to today's complex, ever-evolving threats.
- User Interface and Experience. One of the main goals of the PURE 2.0 developers was to simplify the interface while still ensuring its familiarity for current customers. The product's main window allows users to simultaneously see the computer's security status, with problem areas highlighted in red, and get instant access to the necessary modules.
- Home Network Control. Kaspersky PURE 2.0 features an improved, easy-to-use, centralised security management function for networked home computers. This allows users to check the protection status and update the antivirus database for all the PCs in a home network from just one computer.
- The improved Password Manager allows users to create strong passwords, store them securely and manage them easily. The password database can be accessed using a master password, a USB or Bluetooth device, or a Bluetooth-enabled mobile phone. The Password Manager supports several accounts, meaning that each user of a PC can have his/her own password database.
File and Website Checking Functions
- The improved Safe Run function creates an isolated virtual environment in which users can launch suspicious programs and visit unknown websites to check them over before running or opening them on their computers.
- The System Watcher function closely monitors the behaviour of programs already running on a system. If a program performs a malicious action, System Watcher shuts it down and rolls back any changes it has made to the system. This function has been improved to allow it to roll back changes made during a previous session.
- File Advisor. Kaspersky PURE 2.0 uses new File Advisor technology to assess the security of a file before it is run. Information about the activity of programs running on users' computers is fed to the cloud-based Kaspersky Security Network, where the data is analysed and matched against the reputations of these programs. If a program does something suspicious to suggest it is malicious, its behavioural pattern is added to Kaspersky Lab's antivirus databases. This allows other malicious programs with similar behaviour to be blocked.
- URL Advisor. Built into browser toolbars, this feature flags links to infected or fraudulent (phishing) resources within search engine results using a colour indicator. To receive more detailed information about a specific website, the user simply places the cursor over the coloured indicator.
Other Premium Security Features
- The Parental Control function allow users to supervise children's online communications - deemed desirable by nearly 70 per cent of respondents in a parental control survey - and this feature has been enhanced to make it more intuitive to use. Indeed, making sure that a family's Internet experience remains PURE (2.0) has never been easier or more convenient, and with around 80 per cent of respondents in the same survey concerned about there being "too much inappropriate content and a lot of harmful programs online", it is clear that this functionality is as timely as it is indispensable.
- Safe Notes allow users to safely store not just logins and passwords, but also personal notes containing confidential information. This may include PIN codes for SIM cards, software activation codes, passport details, credit card numbers, etc. Safe Notes can be set up using standard data templates (e.g., ‘Bank cards', ‘Internet settings', etc.).
- The Virtual Keyboard is an onscreen keyboard that you use with a mouse. It ensures that logins, passwords, bank card details and other confidential data can be safely entered into web pages without the use of a standard keyboard. This prevents data being intercepted by malicious programs that can take screenshots or record keystrokes made on a physical keyboard.
- With Data Backup and Restore, users can direct any hard drive, removable medium, FTP server or other network storage to store scheduled password-protected backup copies of all their stored data as insurance against computer crashes, hard drive failure, etc. This has been improved with preset categories to make backing up whole categories of files ("all music files", "all video files", etc.) easier, regardless of where they reside on the computer.
- Online Footprint Cleanup. Kaspersky PURE 2.0 ensures complete privacy while using the Internet. It can clean up the user's online ‘footprint' by clearing the surfing history, temp files, cookies and registry items. It can also free up space on the hard drive, which can speed up the system.
- File Shredder. Deleting files through the Windows Recycle Bin does not protect against cybercriminals' efforts to restore deleted files and steal valuable information. The multi-pass File Shredder in Kaspersky PURE 2.0 irreversibly wipes all private and confidential deleted data.
Kaspersky PURE 2.0 is compatible with Microsoft Windows XP Home/Professional (x86 SP3 or higher and x64* SP2 or higher), Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic and Premium/Business/Enterprise/Ultimate (x86 and x64* SP2 or higher), Microsoft Windows 7 Starter/Home Basic and Premium/Professional/Ultimate (x86 and x64* SP1 or higher).
Availability and Pricing
Kaspersky PURE 2.0 will be available from 29 March 2012. One-year licences can be purchased from £49.99. To learn more about Kaspersky PURE 2.0, please visit:
Kaspersky Lab Newsroom
Kaspersky Lab has launched a new online newsroom, Kaspersky Lab Newsroom Europe (http://newsroom.kaspersky.eu/en), for journalists throughout Europe. The newsroom is specifically designed to serve many of the media's most common requests, making it easier for journalists to find product and corporate information, facts and figures, editorial copy, images, videos and audio files, as well as details about the appropriate PR contacts.
About Kaspersky Lab
Kaspersky Lab is the largest antivirus company in Europe. It delivers some of the world's most immediate protection against IT security threats, including viruses, spyware, crimeware, hackers, phishing, and spam. The company is ranked among the world's top four vendors of security solutions for endpoint users. Kaspersky Lab products provide superior detection rates and one of the industry's fastest outbreak response times for home users, SMBs, large enterprises and the mobile computing environment. Kaspersky® technology is also used worldwide inside the products and services of the industry's leading IT security solution providers. Learn more at http://www.kaspersky.co.uk/. For the latest on antivirus, anti-spyware, anti-spam and other IT security issues and trends, visit http://www.securelist.com/.
Follow us on Twitter
Like us on Facebook